Woodson-Boulton, Amy, Transformative beauty , ©2012
Transformative beauty : art museums in industrial Britain / Amy Woodson-Boulton.
- Stanford, California : Stanford University Press, ©2012.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 270 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Reference LibraryN1020 .W66 2012 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 231-255) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Art and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Art and state -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Art and state -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Art museums -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Art museums -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.
- Introduction : recovering Victorian ideas about art, beauty, and society
- Ruskin, Ruskinians, and city art galleries
- The public house versus the public home : the debate over Sunday opening
- Collecting for art as experience, or Why Millais trumps Rembrandt
- Teaching through art : beauty, truth, and story
- A new narrative : from experience to appreciation.