The Tunbridge Wells guide, or, An account of the ancient and present state of that place : with a particular description of all the town, villages, antiquities, natural curiosities, ancient & modern seats, founderies &c. : within the circumference of sixteen miles with accurate views of the principal objects.
- Additional Title(s):
New edition of the Tunbridge-Wells guide
- Tunbridge Wells : Printed and sold by J. Sprange at his library on the Parade, 1817.
- Physical Description:
- xx, 332 p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill., chart ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.T92 S67 1817Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Cover title, on publisher's printed label: A new edition of the Tunbridge-Wells guide. With plates.
Engravings by Harry Ashby, Thomas Girtin, Samuel John Neele, H. Vaughan, WIlliam and John Walker; after J. Hastings, James Lambert.
Engraved vignette on title page.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original marbled paper wrappers. Paper label on front cover: A new edition of the Tunbridge-Wells Guide. With plates. Armorial bookplate: King of Hanover.
Contains a brief history of the development of the town and the local family, the Nevilles, the Earls of Abergavenny. Descriptions are given of all local places of interest with particular attention to country houses in the area where a list of paintings are given for Glastenbury, Knowle, Mereworth and Penshurst. Added at the end is a list of lodging houses. Information is supplied on the roads from the town, details of stage coaches, waggons, plsts and times of the mail. Also included is a table showing the distances between the principal town and gives their distances from London.
- Subject Terms:
- Baths -- England -- Tunbridge Wells.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1817.Glastonbury Abbey -- Guidebooks.Hanover, King of -- Bookplate.Health resorts -- England -- Tunbridge Wells.Mereworth Castle (Maidstone, England) -- Guidebooks.Penshurst Place (England) -- Guidebooks.Sevenoaks (England) -- Guidebooks.Sprange, J. -- Publisher.Tunbridge Wells (England) -- Description and travel.Tunbridge Wells (England) -- Guidebooks.Tunbridge Wells (England) -- Social conditions.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Sprange, J. (Jasper), 1746-1823, The Tunbridge Wells guide, or, An account of the ancient and present state of that place , 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.