Cooke, William Bernard, 1778-1855, Eight implemental heads in colours , [1828-1829]
Eight implemental heads in colours / with lines by Thomas Hood.
- London : W.B. Cooke, [1828-1829]
- Physical Description:
- 8 prints : engraving, hand-colored ; sheet 20 x 15 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4797 .E34 1834+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- Imprint from plates.
Description based on an incomplete copy at the Yale Center for British Art (comprising the plates grocer, chymist, cooper, and geometrician). Title and presumed contents from the 1834 edition, which comprised eight plates. The present set may have been sent from Cooke to colorists as instruction for the 1834 edition of the plates.
The Yale Center for British Art copy has housed with it an undated autograph letter, signed, from Thomas Hood to an unidentified recipient (presumably W.B. Cooke), in which Hood provides verse for four of the prints (cooper, barber, chymist, and geometrician). Hood notes: "The rest you shall have when I am a little restive."
BAC: British Art Center copy incomplete.
- Subject Terms:
- Cooke, W.B. -- ALS from Thomas Hood.Cooke, W.B. -- Publisher.Hood, Thomas -- ALS to W.B.Cooke.Satire, English.
- Satires (Visual works) -- England -- 1828-1829.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1828-1829.
- The artist
- The blacksmith
- The dairy maid
- The grocer
- The chymist
- The geometrician
- The barber
- The cooper.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.