- [Sheffield] : The artist, 
- Physical Description:
-  leaves ; 21 x 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.L93 W58 1999+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of the artistView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- © Anne Lydiat WITHOUT (1999) UK
- Title from cover.
"In the summer of 1998 I visited the Beguinage of Sint Elisabeth ... In the centre of the beguinage is a lawn with a huge tree giving shade in the heat of the day. I took a leaf from the tree--an Acer saccarinum witte esdoom (a sugar maple with thorns)--and pressed it in one of my books as a memento. On my return home I decided to use this leaf as the template for the 'catalogue' of the exhibition 'Without' which was held in the Sint Annazal Gallery in the Beguinage of Sint Elisabeth in 1999. I used a drawn outline of the leaf that was then laser cut out--leaving an absence, literally taking the leaves out of my book."--Artist's statement.
Of green leaf, bird, and flower: artists' books and the natural world, p. 134
Selected exhibitions: “'Of Green Leaf, Bird, and Flower': Artists' Books and the Natural World" (Yale Center for British Art, May 15 - August 10, 2014).
BAC: British Art center bound in original black cloth covered boards. Signed and dated by the artist.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Beguinages -- Belgium -- Kortrijk.Botanical illustration -- Great Britain.Exhibitions -- Belgium -- Kortrijk.Leaves -- Pictorial works.Sint-Elisabethbegijnhof (Kortrijk, Belgium)Sugar maple -- Pictorial works.Women in natural history.
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.
- IIIF Manifest: