Lydiat, Anne, Without, 
- [Sheffield] : The artist, 
- Physical Description:
-  leaves ; 21 x 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.L93 W58 1999+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of the artistAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title from cover.
"In the summer of 1998 I visited the Beguinage of Sint Elisabeth ... In the centre of the beguinage is a lawn with a huge tree giving shade in the heat of the day. I took a leaf from the tree--an Acer saccarinum witte esdoom (a sugar maple with thorns)--and pressed it in one of my books as a memento. On my return home I decided to use this leaf as the template for the 'catalogue' of the exhibition 'Without' which was held in the Sint Annazal Gallery in the Beguinage of Sint Elisabeth in 1999. I used a drawn outline of the leaf that was then laser cut out--leaving an absence, literally taking the leaves out of my book."--Artist's statement.
Of green leaf, bird, and flower: artists' books and the natural world, p. 134
Selected exhibitions: “'Of Green Leaf, Bird, and Flower': Artists' Books and the Natural World" (Yale Center for British Art, May 15 - August 10, 2014).
BAC: British Art center bound in original black cloth covered boards. Signed and dated by the artist.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Beguinages -- Belgium -- Kortrijk.Botanical illustration -- Great Britain.Exhibitions -- Belgium -- Kortrijk.Leaves -- Pictorial works.Sint-Elisabethbegijnhof (Kortrijk, Belgium)Sugar maple -- Pictorial works.Women in natural history.
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.