Dickens and the artists / edited by Mark Bills ; with contributions by Pat Hardy, Leonée Ormond, Nicholas Penny and Hilary Underwood.
- New Haven : Yale University Press ; c2012.
Compton : In association with Watts Gallery, c2012.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 188 pages : illustrations (some col.) ; 29 cm.
- Reference LibraryN7483.D498 D53 2012 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dickens and the Artists has been written to accompany the exhibition of the same name at Watts Gallery, Compton, Surrey, from 19 June until 18 October 2012.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and literature -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Art and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Art, Victorian -- Great Britain -- Themes, motives.Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870 -- Criticism and interpretation.Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870 -- Friends and associates.
- Part the first: Dickens as art critic. Dickens and philistinism / Nicholas Penny
- Dickens and contemporary art / Leonée Ormond
- Part the second: The influence of Dickens on the artists. 'Little Nell without laughing': Dickens subjects in Victorian art / Hilary Underwood
- Dickens and the painting of modern life / Mark Bills
- Dickens and social realists: 'too real to be pleasant' / Pat Hardy.