Academiarum totius Europae seu orbis Christiani iuxta suas provincias nova tabula ad usum studiosorum emendate accomodate [cartographic material] / W. Kip sculp.
- Additional Title(s):
- [London] : H.W. excu, An 1602.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 80 mm in diameter, on sheet 13 x 18 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG1807 .K4 1605Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:100,000,000] -- (W 30°0ʹ0ʺ--E 50°0ʹ0ʺ/N 80°0ʹ0ʺ--N 30°0ʹ0ʺ).
- Roundel map of Europe. One of a series of five small roundel maps by Kip and Woutneel, executed ca. 1602. The other four comprise a world map, a Leo Belgicus map of the Low Countries, and maps of France and England & Wales. All five are copies of maps first executed by Jodocus Hondius in 1593. Kip's engravings vary in some details, such as lettering, the pictorial handling of sea areas, and depictions of ships and sea monsters.
Title in cartouche: Europae academiae
Title within double circular border.
Schilder, G. "An unrecorded set of thematic maps by Hondius." In: Map collector 59 (1992), p. 44
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored. Bound with three of the other four roundels in this series by Kip (the world map is lacking). Also bound with: Keere, Pieter van den. [Atlas of the British Isles. Amsterdam: s.n., ca. 1605?]
- Subject Terms:
- Europe -- Maps.
- Maps -- Europe -- 1602.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1602.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Kip, William, Academiarum totius Europae seu orbis Christiani iuxta suas provincias nova tabula ad usum studiosorum emendate accomodate, An 1602
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.