Galliae descriptio [cartographic material] : in qua archiepiscopatus et episcopatus omnes academiae item et parlamenta singula suis quaequae notis distingutur / W. Kip sculp.
- [London] : H.W. excude, [ca. 1602]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 80 mm in diameter, on sheet 13 x 18 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG1807 .K4 1605Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:10,00,000] -- (W 5°0ʹ0ʺ--E 8°15ʹ0ʺ/N 51°30ʹ0ʺ--N 42°0ʹ0ʺ).
- Roundel map of France. One of a series of five small roundel maps by Kip and Woutneel, executed ca. 1602. The other four comprise a world map, a Leo Belgicus map of the Low Countries, and maps of Europe and England & Wales. All five are copies of maps first executed by Jodocus Hondius in 1593. Kip's engravings vary in some details, such as lettering, the pictorial handling of sea areas, and depictions of ships and sea monsters.
Title within double circular border.
Schilder, G. "An unrecorded set of thematic maps by Hondius." In: Map collector 59 (1992), p. 44
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored. Bound with three of the other four roundels in this series by Kip (the world map is lacking). Also bound with: Keere, Pieter van den. [Atlas of the British Isles. Amsterdam: s.n., ca. 1605?]
- Subject Terms:
- France -- Maps.
- Maps -- France -- 1602.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1602.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.