Birds / by Ciara Healy.
- [Ireland] : www.ignition.ie, 
- Physical Description:
- 35 p. : chiefly col. ill. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.H43 B57 2007+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Artist's book. Pages bear colour images and captions. Many of the images are associated with birds, including coats made for "hybrid" birds and images of installations by the artist.
"'Birds' by Ciara Healy is the second part in a series of 'nature library' books that explore the theme of belonging and identity through the language of Natural History. Following on from 'Butterflies by Ciara Healy' the Bird imagery reflects upon the interconnections between that which has changed and that which remains. The book juxtaposes found images from 19th century museum displays with images of knitted bird coats in bell jars and cabinets of curiosities filled with everyday found objects. Placing these images together subverts the traditional forms of classification that continue to influence how history and identity is perceived. There are three groups of birds identified in this book; native, migrant and hybrid. The hybrid bird species occupies an in-between space, a displaced space. The more we become displaced the more likely the notion of home becomes understood as being between places, rather than being rooted to one specific place and, consequently, to one exclusive identity or set of cultural codes. When our sense of place or home is lost through social or environmental change we often attempt to make tangible what is missing and absent. In order to come to terms with the loss, we romanticise what has been left behind precisely because it is no longer physically tangible."--Information provided by the artist.
"Print using Garamond & Rockwell fonts in a limited ed. of 500"--Colophon.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original yellow boards with foil-debossed illustrations.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Ireland.Birds in art.Ignition.ie -- Publisher.Women in natural history.
- Artists' books -- Ireland.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.