Young, William, Collection of remedies for ailments in horses and cattle, circa 1826
Collection of remedies for ailments in horses and cattle.
- Great Britain, circa 1826.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. (circa 200 p.) ; 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process SF285.3.Y9 C65 1826Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Archives & Manuscripts
- The upper board is inscribed in black ink: “William Young, book, 1826, Officer of Excise.”
Bound in full contemporary sheep, with both hasps, but only one brass clasp present.
A manuscript notebook kept by William Young containing a collection of remedies for ailments in horses and cattle, circa 1826. There are numerous receipts for coughs, bleeding, purging, colic, to dry a cow of her milk, to make a cow go a bulling, the glanders, &c. Some are “taken from the twenty-first edition of Francis Clater,” while others appear original, “from a friend,” or are unacknowledged. Also included are receipts for ink, and some printed notes (pasted in) relating to the owner's position as an Officer of the Excise: e.g., tables of stamp and legacy duties, and a hand-written form letter for a notice to quit. A note taken from The Whitehaven Herald, might indicate a location.
- Subject Terms:
- Cattle -- Diseases.Formulas, recipes, etc. -- Great Britain.Horses -- Diseases.Traditional medicine -- Great Britain -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions.Veterinary medicine.Workshop recipes -- Great Britain.Young, William -- Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.