Jameson, Eliza Jane, Eliza Jane Jameson commonplace book, 1832-1896
Eliza Jane Jameson commonplace book.
- Great Britain, 1832-1896.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (160 pages, with blanks) : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process PN6245.J36 C66 1832Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Bound in contemporary gilt-tooled red morocco, with gilt edges. With gilt-stamped morocco book-label of William Jameson (dated July 13th, 1831) on front pastedown.
Commonplace book, probably chiefly compiled by Eliza Jane Jameson, from 1832 to 1896. The album is inscribed at front: “Eliza Jane Jameson, from her affectionate father, W.J. [i.e. William Jameson]” The volume includes poetical extracts (some by Eliza), pen-and-ink drawings, several watercolour sketches on rice paper, as well as mounted illustrations and chinese scraps. It appears to include contributions from various family members throughout the 19th century; the last dated entry is for 1896. The illustrations include sketches of Warwick Castle, a soldier, "sketch of the Whitby School Feast, August 11th 1858", Oxford Canal, and Aston Longueville Church.
- Subject Terms:
- English poetry -- 19th century.Jameson, Eliza Jane.Jameson, William.
- Commonplace books -- 1832-1896.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.