Wilson, John, 1808-1891, Diary of John Wilson during a tour of Wales, 1825 July 13-August 13
- Diary of John Wilson during a tour of Wales.
- Wales, 1825 July 13-August 13.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( p.) ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process DA730.W5 W45 1825Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Manuscript diary kept by John Wilson during a summer tour to Wales in 1825. Wilson is accompanied by his sister Eliza , and aunt. The pages appear to have been written while traveling, with dates appearing in the middle of lines, rather than separated out. They visit numerous country houses and gardens, picture collections, cathedrals, and castles. At the end of the volume is a list of trip expenses, which includes the purchase of a History of Liverpool for 4s-0d; the guide to Crow Castle 6d; a bathing machine, 1s; a pencil case for 16s; and a "present for Mamma," 1.11.6d.
Leaving Leeds, the party travels towards Manchester, attempting to stay at the Duke of Bridgewater's Inn before finally lodging for the night at the Albion Hotel. They visit Manchester Exchange, the Library, the Duke of Bridgewater's Canal and then depart. The group enjoys the Liverpool Docks and on July 19th they visit Eaton Hall, the seat of Lord Grosvenor, and include an account of the house and gardens before arriving in North Wales at Wrexham. Their first visit is to the home of the Ladies of Llangollen. As they continue on through the Llangollen Valley, they travel to Bettws, Conway, Bangor, Lady Bulkeley's mansion and grounds. The trip continues to Dolgelly, Aberystwyth, Devil's Bridge, and they then purchase tickets for admission to Hafod, Raglan & Castle, Chepstow. After leaving Wales, they travel on to Bristol, Clifton, Gloucester, Tewkesbury, Matlock, Chatsworth, Sheffield, and Wakefield, before returning home to Seacroft Hall.
Bound in contemporary limp calf.
- Subject Terms:
- Liverpool (England) -- Description and travel.Manchester (England) -- Description and travel.Wales -- Description and travel.Wilson, Eliza ca. 1810-1855.Wilson, John, 1808-1891 -- Diaries.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.