For Gladstone / [written, set, printed, and illustrated by Shirley Jones].
- [Croyden, Surrey] : Red Hen Press, 
- Physical Description:
-  p. : ill. (some col.) ; 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR6060.O66 F67 1988+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "Gladstone was a lovable and rather portly Persian cat, not the brightest of cats, nor the most graceful. ... But he had a huge capacity for loving, and when he did, he left a great gap in our lives. I made the book for myself, for my family, and of course, for Gladstone. Both plates ae mezzoints on copperplae, the "sun" cut out and printed with the main plate. The lines indicating fencing are so deeply biten, the rest of the plate protected with varnish, that when printed intaglio, they stand out from the mezzotint"--Patkus.
"Ten mezzotints & a mezzotint combined with a relief etching accompany the text, printed in 18-point Gill Sans type on Rives mould-made paper in an edition limited to 50."--Colophon.
Date of publication from Shirley Jones and the Red Hen Press.
Patkus, R.D. Shirley Jones and the Red Hen Press, 13
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 45 of 50, signed by the artist. Bound in publisher's original dark blue cloth, with like slip-case.
- Subject Terms:
- Cats in art.Cats in literature.Pet loss -- In art.Red Hen Press -- Publisher.
- Mezzotints -- 1988.
Etchings -- 1988.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.