Language magic : lost words, lost worlds / Ciara Healy.
- [Ireland] : www.ignition.ie, 2011.
- Physical Description:
-  p. : col. ill. ; 18 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.H43 L36 2011Yale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Artist's book. Pages bear colour images of flowers and fauna with accompanying captions. Bound in color printed glossy boards.
"In late 2008 a sharp-eyed reader of the new edition of the Oxford Junior Dictionary noticed that there had been a significant culling of words concerning nature. Under pressure the Press revealed a list of the words it no longer felt to be relevant to a modern-day childhood. The words that had sholdered their way into the new edition of the dictionary include attachment, block-graph, celebrity, citizenship, compulsory, committee and database. The substitutions - the outdoors and natural being displaced by the interior and the virtual were a small but significant symptom of the administered and simulated life that we increasingly live. A basic language-literarc of nature is falling from us, and what is being lost along with this literacy is something perhaps even more valuable: a kind of language magic. The power that certain words possess to enchant our imaginative relations with nature and landscape." Text from Robert Macfarlane's 'A counter desecration phrasebook'"--Page .
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Ireland.Botanical illustration -- Ireland.Ignition.ie -- Publisher.Nature in art.Women in natural history.
- Artists' books -- Ireland.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.