Costello, Leo, J.M.W. Turner and the subject of history , c2012
J.M.W. Turner and the subject of history / Leo Costello.
- Farnham, Surrey ; Ashgate, c2012.
Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2012.
- Physical Description:
- xix, 259 p.,  p. of col. plates : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryNJ18.T85 C6852 2012 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and history -- Great Britain.History in art.Turner, J. M. W. (Joseph Mallord William), 1775-1851 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- "A great and dreadful sea-fight" : the Battle of Trafalgar (1806-8) and the end of contemporary history painting
- "The conception of a swamp'd world" : destruction and creation in painting/history
- "This cross-fire of colours" : Turner and the varnishing days
- "In Venice now" : history, nature, and the body of the subject
- The slave ship : painting/abolition/history