MacGregor, Helen, Drawings for The fox-hunter's week-end book,
- Drawings for The fox-hunter's week-end book, 1939.
- Physical Description:
- 31 drawings : pen and black ink ; 14 x 19 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2012 42Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Original drawings by Helen MacGregor, in pen and black ink, published as ornamental head- and tail-pieces in David Brock's The fox-hunter's week-end book (London : Seeley Service, ). In addition to these 30 drawings, each executed on board of uniform size (14 x 19 cm), there is also MacGregor's larger original drawing (in pen and black ink, 25 x 51 cm) of a rural crossroads, reproduced on the endpapers of the Brock's published work.
On the reverse of each of the head-piece drawings is a note in graphite indicating the number and title of the chapter where the drawing is published. Also on the reverse, many of the drawings bear the ink stamp of London General Agency Servcies.
Accompanying the drawings (Folio A 2012 42 Corresp.) are seven letters concerning this publication, including two that make reference to the drawings:  A brief ALS, 30 March 1939, from MacGregor to an unidentified recipient, reading: "Returned with thanks. May I have the remaining chapters please."  ALS, 24 April 1939, from from David Brock to Stanley Service, in which the author notes "I am glad the illustrations are so good. Who is she? I have never heard."
- Subject Terms:
- Brock, D. W. E. (David William Errington), 1907- Fox-hunter's week-end book -- Illustrations.Fox hunting -- Pictorial works.Horses -- Pictorial works.Hunting dogs -- Pictorial works.MacGregor, Helen.
- Ink drawings.
Headpieces (layout features)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.