Gyfford, E, Original drawings for Designs for small picturesque cottages and hunting boxes, [not after 1807]
Original drawings for Designs for small picturesque cottages and hunting boxes.
- [England], [not after 1807]
- Physical Description:
- 19 drawings : watercolor ; 22 x 14 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA7562 .G92a+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Drawings & Watercolors
- The English architect Edward Gyfford (1773-1856) was a pupil of James Lewis and exhibited at the Royal Academy between 1791 and 1801. He published two small works: Designs for elegant cottages and small villas (London : J. Taylor, 1806) and Designs for small picturesque cottages and hunting boxes (London : J. Taylor, 1807). "In default of commissions, Gyfford appears to have made a living as a draughtsman, making drawings for, e.g. Hughson's London (1805-9). Redgrave says that he was 'a rapid, clever, draughtsman, but managed only to gain a poor subsistence by his profession.'"--Colvin, H. A biographical dictionary of British architects.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, cf. 1418
Original drawings for Edward Gyfford's Designs for small picturesque cottages and hunting boxes, published in 1807 by J. Taylor. Each of the 19 designs includes two elements: a watercolor view of the building at top, and a plan of the same at bottom. Gyfford's drawings depict designs for cottages (nos. 1-3), hunting boxes (4-14), park entrances and lodges (15-17), bridges (18-19), and a Chinese temple (20). The present set of original drawings lacks the design published as plate no. 13. The drawings closely resemble the plates in the published work.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Great Britain -- Designs and plans.Cottages -- Great Britain -- Designs and plans.Picturesque, The, in architecture -- Great Britain.
- Architectural drawings.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.