IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
The Cambridge companion to the Pre-Raphaelites , 2012
The Cambridge companion to the Pre-Raphaelites / edited by Elizabeth Prettejohn.
- Cambridge [England] ; Cambridge University Press, 2012.
New York : Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- xxiii, 306 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryN6767.5. P7 C25 2012 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
"The group of young painters and writers who coalesced into the Pre-Raphaelite movement in the middle years of the nineteenth century became hugely influential in the development not only of literature and painting, but also more generally of art and design. Though their reputation has fluctuated over the years, their achievements are now recognised and their style enjoyed and studied widely. This volume explores the lives and works of the central figures in the group: among others, the Rossettis, William Holman Hunt, John Everett Millais, Ford Madox Brown, William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones. This is the first book to provide a general introduction to the Pre-Raphaelite movement that integrates its literary and visual art forms. The Companion explains what made the Pre-Raphaelite style unique in painting, poetry, drawing and prose"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Arts, English -- 19th century.Pre-Raphaelitism -- England.
- Machine generated contents note: Chronology Louise Hughes; Introduction Elizabeth Prettejohn; Part I. Pre-Raphaelitism: 1. The Pre-Raphaelites and literature Isobel Armstrong; 2. Artistic inspirations Jenny Graham; 3. Pre-Raphaelite drawing Colin Cruise; 4. The religious and intellectual background Michaela Giebelhausen; 5. The Germ Andrew M. Stauffer; Part II. Pre-Raphaelites: 6. The poetry of Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-82) Jerome McGann; 7. The painting of Dante Gabriel Rossetti Elizabeth Prettejohn; 8. William Holman Hunt (1827-1910) Carol Jacobi; 9. John Everett Millais (1829-96) Paul Barlow; 10. Ford Madox Brown (1821-93) Tim Barringer; 11. Christina Rossetti (1830-94) Lorraine Janzen Kooistra; 12. Elizabeth Eleanor Siddall (1829-62) Deborah Cherry; 13. The writings of William Morris (1834-96) Jeffrey Skoblow; 14. The designs of William Morris Imogen Hart; 15. Edward Burne-Jones (1833-98) Caroline Arscott; 16. Algernon Charles Swinburne (1837-1909) Catherine Maxwell; 17. William Michael Rossetti (1829-1919) Angela Thirlwell; 18. Envoi Elizabeth Prettejohn; Appendix 1. The contents of The Germ; Appendix 2. The Pre-Raphaelite 'list of Immortals'; Guide to further reading and looking; Index.