Citizen portrait : portrait painting and the urban elites of Tudor and Jacobean England and Wales / Tarnya Cooper.
- Additional Title(s):
Portrait painting and the urban elites of Tudor and Jacobean England and Wales
- New Haven [Conn.] : Yale University Press, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 251 p. ; ills. (chiefly col.) ; 29 cm.
- Reference LibraryND1314.2 .C662 2012 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and society -- England -- History.Art and society -- Wales -- History.Middle class -- England -- Portraits.Middle class -- Wales -- Portraits.Portrait painting, English -- 16th century.Portrait painting, English -- 17th century.Portrait painting, Jacobean.Portrait painting, Tudor.Portrait painting, Welsh -- 16th century.Portrait painting, Welsh -- 17th century.
- Categories and contexts : visual description and the English Reformation
- Artists and sitters
- Humility and pride : portraits of merchants and retailers
- Professional reputations and representation : portraits of physicians, lawyers, clergymen
- Performance and presence : portraits of poets, playwrights, artists and artisans.