Citizen portrait : portrait painting and the urban elites of Tudor and Jacobean England and Wales / Tarnya Cooper.
- Additional Title(s):
Portrait painting and the urban elites of Tudor and Jacobean England and Wales
- New Haven [Conn.] : Yale University Press, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 251 p. ; ills. (chiefly col.) ; 29 cm.
- Reference LibraryND1314.2 .C662 2012 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and society -- England -- History.Art and society -- Wales -- History.Middle class -- England -- Portraits.Middle class -- Wales -- Portraits.Portrait painting, English -- 16th century.Portrait painting, English -- 17th century.Portrait painting, Jacobean.Portrait painting, Tudor.Portrait painting, Welsh -- 16th century.Portrait painting, Welsh -- 17th century.
- Categories and contexts : visual description and the English Reformation
- Artists and sitters
- Humility and pride : portraits of merchants and retailers
- Professional reputations and representation : portraits of physicians, lawyers, clergymen
- Performance and presence : portraits of poets, playwrights, artists and artisans.