Media magica, 2004
- Media magica [DVD]. 4, Vieltausendschau = Multi-thousand picture show = Mille et une image.
- Mulheim an der Ruhr : Werner Nekes, 2004.
- Physical Description:
- 1 DVD (53 min.) : sd., col.
- Reference LibraryDVD 196Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Film by Werner Nekes.
An encyclopedic look at the "prehistory" of cinema, covering shadow plays, peep shows, flip books, (such as the kinora and the mutoscope) magic lanterns, flicks, lithopanes, panoramic scrolls, optical toys, and other forms of early animation and numerous other types of historical artifices. This volume look at picture montage, which was a central aspect in the early history of visual media. As early as the 16th century, techniques such as the folding picture montage anticipated those used in film today. Other examples of early forms of montage are transparencies, picture puzzles and blow books, which direct the gaze toward hidden information. In the myriorama, the multi-thousand picture show, it is possible to assemble infinite landscapes.
- Subject Terms:
- Animated films -- History.Cinematography -- History.Motion pictures -- History.Shadow shows -- History.