Parmal, Pamela A, Samplers from A to Z , c2000
Samplers from A to Z / Pamela A. Parmal.
- 1st ed.
- Boston : MFA Publications, c2000.
- Physical Description:
- 64 p. : col. ill. ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryNK9102 B67 M87 2000 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Published in conjunction with the exhibition 'Common Threads: A Showcase of Samplers,' organized by the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, from March 29, 2000 to July 23, 2000." -- T.p. verso.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 64).
"For centuries, the sampler has been a mainstay of the seamstress's craft, at once a didactic tool, a commercial showcase, and, frequently, a work of art in itself. This beautifully illustrated, accessible book presents a look at some remarkable samplers and offers a concise history of the form as well. Arranged like an alphabet, Samplers from A to Z concentrates on 26 examples, each chosen to illustrate a key facet of sampler artistry. The topics covered range from alphabets, embroidery, and cutwork to landscapes, spot samplers, and whitework. Pamela A. Parmal, who is also curator of the current exhibition of samplers at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, provides an overview of samplers and their role in industry and education throughout their history. This succinct, colorful book is ideal for anyone interested in the technique, history, or astounding beauty and variety of samplers."--BOOK JACKET.
- Subject Terms:
- Embroidery -- Exhibitions.Museum of Fine Arts, Boston -- Exhibitions.Samplers -- Exhibitions.