The last days of Pompeii : decadence, apocalypse, resurrection / Victoria C. Gardner Coates, Kenneth Lapatin, Jon L. Seydl ; with contributions by Mary Beard, Adrian Stähli, William St. Clair and Annika Bautz.
- Los Angeles : J. Paul Getty Museum, c2012.
- Physical Description:
- 264 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 29 cm.
- Reference LibraryN8214.5.I8 L37 2012 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This publication is issued on the occasion of the exhibition The Last Days of Pompeii: Decadence, Apocalypse, Resurrection, on view at the J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Villa in Malibu, from September 12, 2012, to January 7, 2013; at the Cleveland Museum of Art from February 24 to May 19, 2013; and at the Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec from June 13 to November 8, 2013.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and history -- Exhibitions.Art, Modern -- Themes, motives -- Exhibitions.Disasters in art -- Exhibitions.Pompeii (Extinct city) -- In art -- Exhibitions.Vesuvius (Italy) -- Eruption, 79 -- Exhibitions.
- Decadence, apocalypse, resurrection / Jon L. Seydl
- Pompeii on display / Kenneth Lapatin
- On the cutting edge: Pompeii and new technology / Victoria C. Gardner Coates
- The making of the myths: Edward Bulwer-Lytton's The Last Days of Pompeii / William St. Clair and Annika Bautz
- Dirty little secrets: changing displays of Pompeian "Erotica" / Mary Beard
- Pompeii on the couch: the modern fantasy of "Gradiva" / Victoria C. Gardner Coates
- Screening Pompeii: the last days of Pompeii in cinema / Adrian Stähli