Watch, quarter and station bill of H.M.S. Dido, circa 1840
- Watch, quarter and station bill of H.M.S. Dido.
- Great Britain, circa 1840.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( p.) ; 16 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process DA88 .W38 1840Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Small manuscript volume giving the position of sails and men for different situations aboard ship, including "Getting underweigh," "Furling sails," and "In bracing up for casting." Pen-and-ink drawings illustrate several of the settings. The H.M.S. Dido, an eighteen gun corvette, was launched in 1836 and decommissioned in 1860. The Dido is most well known today through the book by Henry Keppel, Expedition to Borneo of H.M.S. Dido for the suppression of piracy, published in 1846.
- Subject Terms:
- Dido (Ship : 1836-1860) -- History -- Sources.Great Britain Navy -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Great Britain Navy -- History -- 19th century -- Sources.
- Notebooks -- 19th century.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.