Cut-paper basket, Great Britain,
- Cut-paper basket.
- Great Britain, approximately 1820.
- Physical Description:
- 1 cut-paper basket : hand-cut paper with watercolor, stitched with silk thread ; 24 x 29 x 8 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFlat B 8Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Likely intended for the collection of visiting cards, this hand-painted, cut-paper basket evokes a decorated ceramic fruit bowl. The unidentified creator may well have copied the flowers from a drawing manual of the sort published by Augustin Heckel.
Of green leaf, bird, and flower: artists' books and the natural world, p. 51
Selected exhibitions: “'Of Green Leaf, Bird, and Flower': Artists' Books and the Natural World" (Yale Center for British Art, May 15 - August 10, 2014).
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Baskets.Flowers.Great Britain -- Social life and customs.Visiting cards.Women in natural history.
- Botanical illustrations.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.