The first map of Australia [cartographic material] : from Nicholas Vallard's atlas, 1547, in the library of Sir Thomas Phillipps, Bart. at Middle Hill, 1856.
- [Worcestershire] : [Middle Hill Press], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : col. ; 37.6 x 55.4 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2012 48Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale indeterminable.
- Facsimile map from Nicholas Vallard's manuscript sea atlas (1547), now held in the Huntington Library, San Marino, California. The original chart was produced in Dieppe, France in the 16th century, and was thought to represent Portuguese charting of the northeastern coast of Australia.
The border illustrations are stylized representations of supposed Australian aborigines.
Title from printed label pasted on lower margin.
The atlas from which this facsimile map was made is Phillipps MS 13199. Cf. Munby, A.N.L. Phillipps Studies IV, p. 163.
BMC Maps, 145.e.26
BAC: British Art Center copy includes the printed title label in lower margin.
- Subject Terms:
- Australia -- Discovery and exploration -- Portuguese -- Maps.Australia -- Maps.
- Maps -- Australia -- 1856.
Chromolithographs -- 1856.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.