Designs for embroidered waistcoats.
- France or Great Britain, ca. [1840?]
- Physical Description:
- 14 items ; each approximately 50 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2012 50Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Similar designs and patterns are present on items in the collections of the Victoria & Albert Museum. V&A pressmark T.76 comprises outlined patterns on white paper, which bear many similarities to the present waistcoat designs; it includes D.170-'98, which bears a pattern for a cap similar to item no. 7, and D.175-'98, which includes a design for collar whitework similar to item no. 5. V&A T.1.a (Designs for printed cottons, English, c. 1840) includes a large design somewhat similar to that of item no. 4. V&A T.93 (French embroidery designs) includes a design (E223-1930), c. 1790, similar to parts of item nos. 6 and 8. Also of interest at the V&A is a collection of patterns for embroidery made and collected by Sarah Bland (1810-1905), shelfmark E.372:8/1-1967.
For information on embroidered dress, see: Thunder, Moira. "Object Lesson Designs and Clients for Embroidered Dress, 1782-94." Textile History 37, no. 1 (May 2006): 82-90.
Of green leaf, bird, and flower: artists' books and the natural world, p. 121
Collection of fourteen waistcoat designs, by an unidentified artist. The designs are drawn in ink, watercolor, or gouache. The decorative elements of each design incorporate floral or botanical illustrations. Items nos. 1-9 are on black coated paper; nos. 10-14 on heavy cream paper. All are undated and unsigned, but the floral elements in the designs and the cut of the waistcoats are typical of the early Victorian period.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- France.Clothing and dress -- Great Britain.Embroidery -- France.Embroidery -- Great Britain.Fashion design -- France.Fashion design -- Great Britain.Vests.
- Botanical illustrations.