Great Britain. MI9, France (north west), Belgium (west and central), Holland (part of) ; France (south west), Spain (north), [1943?]
- France (north west), Belgium (west and central), Holland (part of) ; France (south west), Spain (north).
- [London?] : [MI9], [1943?]
- Physical Description:
- 2 maps on 1 sheet : both sides, color, on silk ; 68 x 70 cm and 66 x 69 cm, on sheet 74 x 74 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTextiles 26aYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale 1:1,000,000 -- (W 5°--E 5°/N 53°--N 47°). and Scale 1:1,000,000 -- (W 5°--E 5°/N 49°--N 42°).
- Escape map printed on silk, depicting France and portions of Spain and the Low Countries, as well as the German-Swiss frontier.
Maps such as these were issued for the use of British aircrews during World War II. If shot down over enemy occupied Europe, an airman could potentially use such a map in his attempts to evade capture and escape back to Allied territory. See: Hall, Debbie. "Wall tiles and Free Parking: escape and evasion maps of World War II." http://www.mapforum.com/04/escape.htm (accessed Jan. 10, 2014).
Relief shown by gradient tints and spot heights.
Insets: The Pyrenees (east & central) : scale 1:500,000 -- The Pyrenees (west) -- German-Swiss frontier : scale-1:300,000.
The 43A/B combination was produced in 1943 and 1944, in a print run of 350,000 copies, based on maps of the International Map of the World (IMW). Given the large print run, it was probably intended for "operational use as well as for escape and evasion purposes." See: Bond.
"43/A. 43/B." This pair of maps, and others in the "43" series, are described on www.escape-maps.com (accessed Jan. 10, 2014).
WWII escape maps (www.escape-maps.com)
Bond, B. Great escapes, pages 67-71, 234-235
- Subject Terms:
- Belgium -- Maps.Color printing -- Great Britain.Europe, Western -- Maps.France -- Maps.Germany -- Boundaries -- Switzerland -- Maps.Military maps.Netherlands -- Maps.Pyrenees -- Maps.Spain -- Maps.Switzerland -- Boundaries -- Germany -- Maps.World War, 1939-1945 -- Maps
- Cloth maps.
Printed textile materials.
Maps -- Europe.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.