Darly, Matthias, Darly, engraver and printseller, no. 39 Strand, [between 1767 and 1780]
Darly, engraver and printseller, no. 39 Strand.
- [London] : [Matthias Darly], [between 1767 and 1780]
- Physical Description:
- 1 trade card : engraving ; sheet 251 x 177 mm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2012 49eView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "In 1766 the Darlys moved to a second commercial premises, at 39 Strand, the shop depicted in The Macaroni Print Shop (1772). It continued to supply not only caricature and ornament, but a range of equipment for the amateur artist and decorator--'materials of every kind used in the Polite Arts of Drawing, Etching, &c with all Sorts of Drawing books for young Ladies and Gentlemen' (Public Advertiser, 1 Jan 1779), borders and decorations for print rooms and screens, as well as 'Ladies Stencils for painting Silks, Linens, Paper, &c, by Mary Darly' (ibid., 13 June 1769). It also sold portraits and history prints."--Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
"Sells sundry comic subjects in volumes or single prints, drawing books for learners ... stencils in various devices for ladies painting on silk, linen, or paper; foreign and English colours ... transparent colours for staining drawings &c.; black lead, red chalk, and other drawing pencils ... copper plates ... fine etching ground, needles, gravers, scrapers, rules, compasses, racers, &c. ... transparent and tracing papers ... ornaments &c. for gentlens. book plates ..."
Darly was active at this address from 1767 to 1780. See: Maxted, Ian. The London book trades, 1775-1800.
BAC: British Art Center copy mounted on same sheet with (and partially below) an engraved trade card for Edward Malpas (cataloged separately: Folio A 2012 49d).
Advertisement for Matthias Darly (ca. 1720-1780), comprised entirely of engraved text.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' materials -- Great Britain.Artists' materials industry -- Great Britain.Darly, Matthias.Engravers -- Great Britain.Engraving -- Great Britain.
- Engravings -- 1767-1780.
Trade cards (advertising)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.