Memoirs of Buonaparte : his imperial family, great officers of state, and great military officers.
- Second edition, with additions.
- London : Printed and published by G. Smeeton, 17 St. Martin's Lane, Charing Cross, [approximately 1814]
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet ( page) : illustration ; 45 x 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2012 49hYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Caption title.
Includes a "Hieroglyphic portrait" of Napoleon by George Cruikshank.
"Correct explanation of the hieroglyphic portrait of Buonaparte: the French eagle, crouching, forms his hat; the red collar represents the River Rhine ... the letters on the fingers are the initials of Austria, Russia, Sweden and Prussia; and the cuff of the sleeve is emblematic of Great Britain, by whose influence and power the Allies are bound together; the letter R signifying Regent. The visage is formed of the carcases [sic] of the unhappy victims to his cruel ambition; the spider is symbolic of the rancor and venom of Buonaparte's heart; and the web illustrative of the flimsy tenure by which he at present holds his kingdom."
The first and third editions of this work are described in George (12204 and 12204a).
Anti-Bonapartist propaganda, with pithy character assassinations of key figures in the Bonapartist regime.
- Subject Terms:
- France -- History -- 1789-1815.France. Armée -- Officers.Marshals -- France.Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821 -- Caricatures and cartoons.Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821 -- Family.Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821 -- Satires.
- Engravings -- 1814.
Satires -- 1814.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.