Jervis, Anne Sarah Paget, 1801-1886, Drawings of England and India, 1817-1852
Drawings of England and India.
- England and India, 1817-1852.
- Physical Description:
- 8 drawings on 6 sheets : watercolors ; 14 x 36 cm or smaller
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2012 53Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Jane L. Jervis, Yale PhD 1978View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Anne was the daughter of William Paget, a retired surgeon of the 48th Regiment and pearl merchant in Ceylon. Anne's parents died early. She was an orphan when she met Thomas Best Jervis and married him in 1830. They had two children, William Paget Jervis (1831-1906) and Annie Jervis (1834), and the family eventually returned to England. Anne died in Naples (likely while visiting her children in Italy) and was buried in the English Cemetery there.
Collection of eight drawings by Anne Sarah Paget Jervis (1801-1886) depicting scenes in England and India, 1817-1852.
- Subject Terms:
- Cornwall (England : County) -- Pictorial works.Devon (England) -- Pictorial works.Jervis, Anne Sarah Paget, 1801-1886.Tamil Nadu (India) -- Pictorial works.Torquay (England) -- Pictorial works.Udagamandalam (India) -- Pictorial works.
- Travel sketches -- England.
Travel sketches -- India.
Watercolors -- 1817-1852.
- IIIF Manifest:
- [1. Landscape with bridge, England?] Inscribed on reverse: Anne Paget, April 23rd, 1817, with the assistance of Mr. White
-  Petit Tor Rocks, Babbacombe Bay [and on verso] Thatchers Rock, near Torquay, Devon
-  Petit Tor Rocks near Babbacombe. Coloured without my colour bsh. by clay. [?] vegetable green, A.S. Paget
- [4. Unidentified coastal scene, England]
-  New Grimsby Harbour & Bryer, with Hangman's Island, from Tresco, 1852
-  Lake Ooatacamund, Nilghiri Hills [with graphite drawing of the same on reverse]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.