A garden alphabet / compiled by John Harris in association with the Victoria and Albert Museum for the Garden Exhibition.
- London : Octopus Books Limited in association with Edgeworth Press, 1979.
- Physical Description:
-  p. : ill. (some col.), facsim., plans ; 25 x 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2012 57View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Researched and written by John Harris. Designed by Helen Hamlyn. Alphabet drawn by David Coster.
"This book contains 24 original engravings from Batty Langley's Pomona, or, The fruit garden illustrated, first published in 1729"--Page .
BAC: British Art Center copy is in landscape format.. Ribbon-bound loose leaf folder containing 30 double page landscape pieces, each illustrated, with a period work of art, describing the beauties of antique gardens. Produced for the garden exhibition at the V & A.
"This garden alphabet has been compiled to illustrate some of the vanished beauties, fashions and eccentricities of former gardens and garden ornaments as they have come down to us in paintings, drawings, aquatints and book illustrations ..."--Intrdouction.
- Subject Terms:
- Alphabets in art.Botanical illustration -- Great Britain.Edgeworth Press -- Publisher.Garden ornaments and furniture -- England -- History.Garden structures -- England -- History.Gardening -- England -- History.Gardens -- Design -- History.Gardens -- England -- Design -- History.Octopus Books Limited -- Publisher.
- Alphabet books.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.