The first modern museums of art : the birth of an institution in 18th- and early-19th-century Europe / edited by Carole Paul.
- Los Angeles : J. Paul Getty Museum, 
- Physical Description:
- xxi, 346 pages : illustrations, maps ; 27 cm
- Reference LibraryN1010 .F57 2012 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes index.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
"This multiauthor book discusses the evolution of the first public museums of art throughout Europe in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries and the standards these early museums set for all subsequent institutions of their kind"--Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Art museums -- Europe -- History -- 18th century.Art museums -- Europe -- History -- 19th century.
- Introduction: the grand tour and princely collections in Rome / Carole Paul
- Capitoline Museum in Rome: civic identity and personal cultivation / Carole Paul
- British Museum, London: institutionalizing enlightenment / Robert G. W. Anderson
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence: the rebirth of a museum in the eighteenth century / Paula Findlen
- Museo Pio-Clementino, Vatican City: ideology and aesthetics in the age of the grand tour / Jeffrey Collins
- The picture galleries of Dresden, Düsseldorf, and Kassel: princely collections in eighteenth century Germany / Tristan Weddigen
- Kunsthistorisches Museum, Belvedere Vienna: dynasticism and the function of art / Michael Yonan
- Nationalmuseum, royal museum, Stockholm: connecting north and south / Magnus Olausson and Solfrid Söderlind
- Musée du Louvre, Paris: palace of the people, art for all / Andrew McClellan
- Museo Nacional del Prado, Madrid: absolutism and nationalism in early-nineteenth-century Madrid / Andrew Schulz
- National Gallery, London: for all ranks and degrees of men / Brandon Taylor
- Altes Museum, Berlin: building Prussia's first modern museum / Thomas W. Gaehtgens
- Glyptothek and Alte Pinakothek, Munich: museums as public monuments / Adrian von Buttlar and Bénédicte Savoy.