IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Coles, Frederick Rhenius, 1853 or 1854-, This book contains drawings of marine shells (from Forbes & Hanley) generally considered as specially British , 1884
This book contains drawings of marine shells (from Forbes & Hanley) generally considered as specially British / F.R. Coles, April 1884, Tongland.
- Tongland, 1884.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (22 leaves) : illustrations ; 75 x 71 mm and 3 shell specimens ; in folder 75 x 55 mm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQL425.G74 C6 1884 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Full Orbis Record:
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Frederick Rhenius Coles was a local antiquary, living at the Hermitage, Tongland, in the Scottish borders. He was active in the Dumfries and Galloway Scientific, Natural History and Antiquarian Society, conducting field visits and presenting papers to the members.
Of green leaf, bird, and flower: artists' books and the natural world, p. 201
Bound in contemporary roan covered boards, with simple overstitching on the spine.
Small manuscript album compiled by Frederick Rhenius Coles, April 1884, at Tongland, comprising 21 mounted drawings, in graphite, with each species of shell identified with its binomial nomenclature. Coles has carefully traced illustrations from Edward Forbes and Sylvanus Hanley's popular book A history of British Mollusca and their shells (first published 1853) for his own miniature guide to marine shells.
The volume is accompanied by a card folder with “three specimens of Tellina Tenuis mounted to show scars of adductor muscles and pallial line. F.R.C. January 1884."
- Subject Terms:
- Coles, Frederick Rheniusm, 1853 or 1854-Mollusks -- Great Britain.Shells -- Great Britain.Shells -- Identification.
- Scientific illustrations.
- IIIF Manifest:
"Of Green Leaf, Bird, and Flower" : Artists' Books and the Natural World (Yale Center for British Art, May 15, 2014-August 10, 2014) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.