[Magic lantern slides], [1870s?]
- [Magic lantern slides]
- [Great Britain], [1870s?]
- Physical Description:
- 24 slides in wooden mounts : hand-colored ; 10 x 18 cm + box 13 x 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQuarto Room / South ShelvingAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Collection of 24 late 19th century hand-painted moveable transformation slides for a magic lantern show. Each is in its original wood frame. The collection is partially contained in a contemporary wooden case, which is lacking the lid. One of the frames is blind-stamped "Newton, 2 Fleet Street, London," and another is inscribed "WAN Copyright No 52." Newton and Co., 2 Fleet Street, were opticians to the Queen, and these transformations are known as "rack-work" slides. They also specialised in astronomical slides.
A "slipping" magic lantern slide consists of "one glass slide which is moved across another, fixed slide, each of which is painted with one phase of a simple movement. Black patches on the slipping slide alternately cover and uncover the two phases of movement."--Science & Society picture library website.
-  Man approaching a grocer's store --  Pot of beer, best London porter --  Balloon frame embossed “Newton, 3 Fleet street, London” --  Chimney sweep --  Sweep & maid --  Beggar with a hat --  Juggler in fancy costume --  Man in red coat reading by candlelight --  Bottled porter --  Man in stockade with pagoda in background --  Dog with tale of woe --  Two soldiers of varying size --  Sailor & his vat of preserved meat --  Sitting monkey watching a cat in a stockade --  Soldier smoking a pipe --  Man charged by a bull --  Acrobat on conehead hat --  Woman beating a boy --  (damaged) --  A real native. Seated woman shucking oysters --  Boy dropping a jam jar --  Sailor in profile with --  Barefoot man with axe, chopping off his foot --  Jack (sailor) in a box.
- Subject Terms:
- Lantern projection.Lantern slides.
- Lantern slides.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.