Documents concerning "James II receiving the mathematical scholars of Christ's Hospital" , 1837
Documents concerning "James II receiving the mathematical scholars of Christ's Hospital" : manuscript.
- Horsham, West Sussex, 1837.
- Physical Description:
- 4 items ; various sizes
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process ND623.V54 J36 1837+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Title devised by cataloger.
Four documents concerning "James II receiving the mathematical scholars of Christ's Hospital" from the studio of Antonio Verrio. The oil painting by Verrio is located in the Great Hall of Christ's Hospital and the replica drawing in watercolor is held by the Yale Center for British Art (Prints and Drawings, B1977.14.6307). The watercolor was previously the property of John Pepys Cockerell by family descent from Samuel Pepys (who served on the board of Christ's Hospital). The drawing was sold accompanied by these documents to the Yale Center for British Art. Contents consist of correspondences responding to Cockerell's inquiry for information regarding the picture by Verrio and written extracts from the records of Christ's Hospital that were enclosed in the correspondences, as well as an unsigned note that describes the oil painting painted by Verrio and states it is now in the Great Hall Christ's Hospital.
- Subject Terms:
- Charles II, King of England, 1630-1685.Christ's Hospital (London, England)Cockerell, John Pepys -- Ownership.James II, King of England, 1633-1701.Verrio, Antonio, -1707. James II receiving the mathematical scholars of Christ's Hospital.
- IIIF Manifest:
- Letter from Alderman Thompson, M.P., to John Cockerell 11 May 1837
- Letter from George Trollope to Alderman Thompson, M.P. 11 May 1837
- Unsigned note regarding the drawing
- Extract from the Records of Christ's Hospital relating to the great picture in the Hall painted by Verrio to commemorate the foundation of the mathematical school by King Charles the Second.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.