[Transforming head , [circa 1830]
- [Transforming head : young woman, young man, older woman, harlequin].
- [Great Britain], [circa 1830]
- Physical Description:
- 4 drawings : watercolor ; 184 x 180 mm, folded to 62 x 61 mm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1229. T73 1830a+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Multi-flapped visual device in which a single face may be adorned in one of four guises. The cross-shaped sheet comprises five panels, each of which (except the top arm) bears a figure drawn in watercolor; each of the four square-shaped arms may in turn fold over the central square panel. The central panel features the face of a young woman, against a simple black background. Three of the four flaps, when folded over the center panel, depict a different character (young man, older woman, harlequin) with a cut-out window in place of the face so that the face of the original young woman shows through, but adorned in different dress and headgear.
The top panel and the reverse of the central panel are backed in green pebbled paper (trimmed in gold), which is thus exhibited on both sides of the device when it is completely closed.
BAC: British Art Center copy housed with a second original transforming head. Provenance: Paul Anstee.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain.Anstee, Paul -- Provenance.Great Britain -- Social life and customs.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.