Commission appointing Edward Pennington as Lieutenant Colonel in the cavalry, United East India Company, Bengal.
- 1799 July 4.
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet (folded) ; 20 x 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS442.5.E27 P4 1799Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Edward Pennington (1749 or 50-1804) served in the army of the East India Company for much of his adult life, beginning as ensign (in 1777) and retiring at the rank of colonel in 1801. He died 28 November 1804, aged 54, at Harmony Hall, near Millthorpe, Lancashire. See: Hodson, V.C.P. List of the officers of the Bengal army, 1758-1834 (London : Constable & Co, 1927-1947).
Printed commission, completed in manuscript, appointing Edward Pennington as Lieutenant Colonel in the cavalry, United East India Company, Bengal, dated July 4, 1799. The document is on paper, and bears the embossed seal of the East India Company. The portions completed in manuscript are in pen and brown ink. The appointment is made by the Counsellors of the Presidency of Fort William in Bengal: Alured Clarke, Peter Speke, and William Cowper.
- Subject Terms:
- East India Company. Army. Bengal Army.India -- Officials and employees.Pennington, Edward, 1749 or 50-1804.
- Military commissions -- Great Britain.
YCBA Collections Search
East India Company. Army. Bengal Army, Commission appointing Edward Pennington as Lieutenant Colonel in the cavalry, United East India Company, Bengal, 1799 July 4
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.