Spooner's protean views, no. 38 [graphic] : Roslin Chapel changing to iron works, in the north of England.
- Additional Title(s):
Roslin Chapel changing to iron works
- London : William Spooner, 377 Strand, [ca. 1838?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : lithograph, hand colored ; image 15 x 19 cm, on mount 23 x 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA5474.R67 S6 1838+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title and imprint are printed on caption adhered to mount.
Hand-colored print of the interior of Roslin Chapel. When illuminated from behind, the view changes to a scene of an iron works. Spooner achieved this special effect by painting the scene of the iron works on the back of the print and attaching a layer of tissue over the painting. Both print and tissue are supported by a heavier paper frame.
- Subject Terms:
- Iron-works -- Pictorial works.Rosslyn Chapel (Roslin, Scotland) -- Pictorial works.
- Transparent prints.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1838.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
YCBA Collections Search
Spooner, William, active 1831-1854, Spooner's protean views, no. 38, [ca. 1838?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.