Needlework instructions, 1901-1912
- Needlework instructions.
- Great Britain, 1901-1912.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. (, 30 pages) : ill. ; 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTT708 .N44 1901Yale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Manuscript instructions for needlework, knitting and crocheting projects, by an unidentified compiler. The volume includes several diagrams, and an index (at front) of the projects included therein. There are designs for a "soldier's helmet," tennis net, babies' shoes, grandmama's fringe for toilet covers, slippers &c. There are numerous blank pages at the end.
Also present is an inserted folded sheet with 16 examples of crochet work. The album was clearly intended for a wealthy, and leisured home, and the inserted sheet is on stationery with the embossed letterhead of Bargate House, Mildenhall, Suffolk, which, at this date, was the home of Francis Gerald Pratt.
Bound in full red morocco, with gilt edges and marbled endpapers. Stationer's label of A. Webster and Co., Piccadilly.
- Babies' shoes -- Soldier's helmet -- Tennis net -- Aunt Anna's counterpane -- Marion's scarf -- Hug me tight -- Baby's nightingale -- Crochet edging -- Crochet medallion -- Grandmama's fringe -- Scarf & shawl -- Knee cap -- Cable knitting -- Netted curtains -- Miss Crisp's netted curtains -- Knitted jacket for lady -- Crochet edging -- Gentleman's sock -- Knickerbocker stocking -- Aunt Anna's circular shawl -- Anne [illegible] little edging -- White woolen petticoat -- Miss Custance [?] 1st baby shirt -- Childrens' vests -- Knitted lace -- Sleeping socks -- Ball room slippers.
- Subject Terms:
- A. Webster and Co. -- Binder.Crocheting -- Study and teaching.Knitting -- Study and teaching.Needlework -- Patterns.Needlework -- Study and teaching.Pratt, Francis Gerald, 1881-1958, associated name.
- Manuals (Handbooks)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.