Estcourt, Thomas Grimston Bucknall, 1775-1853, Sketchbooks, 1826-1851
- Great Britain ; Belgium ; Switzerland ; Italy, 1826-1851.
- Physical Description:
- 3 v. : ill. ; 19 x 27 cm, and smaller.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process D919.E88 S64 1826Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Three sketchbooks by Thomas Grimston Bucknall Estcourt, of British and Continental scenery.
Volume 1 comprises 18 pages of small sketches in graphite, mainly of rural scenery and details in the manner of Pyne's Microcosm. It is dated at front June 21, 1826.
Volume 2 comprises sketches made during travels in Belgium and Switzerland. It includes 10 landscape studies mainly in sepia or grey wash, several added with color, together with four rudimentary graphite sketches, and a page of rural characters, ploughs, etc. There is a large colored drawing of a barque, presumably the boat they traveled on for part of their trip along the River Meuse. Several drawings are of scenery "entre Namur et Huy sur Meuse"; another is of a well near Strasbourg, and as the scenery becomes mountainous there is a "view from Thun" and others of Staubbach, Eiger Alps from Grindelwald. Circa 1840.
Volume 3 consists of sketches made during travels in Italy, including seven watercolor drawings or studies, and seven faint unfinished sketches in graphite. Written on the inside cover is "Thomas Grimston Bucknall Estcourt of Estcourt. Sketches by him"; with his wax seal. A drawing of Pisa is dated Nov. 3, 1851.
- Subject Terms:
- Belgium -- Pictorial works.Estcourt, Thomas Grimston Bucknall, 1775-1853.Grand tours (Education)Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Italy -- Pictorial works.Switzerland -- Pictorial works.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.