Stanford, Edward, 1827-1904, Stanford's library map of London and its suburbs, 1862
Stanford's library map of London and its suburbs [cartographic material].
- Additional Title(s):
Library map of London and its suburbs
- London : Edward Stanford, 1862.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map on 24 sheets : hand col. ; 185 x 154 cm, sheets 31 x 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG5754 .L7 1862+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a digital version in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database (32 L84 1862B)
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale 1:10,560. -- (W 0°13ʹ50ʺ--E 0°0ʹ45ʺ/N 51°34ʹ50ʺ--N 51°24ʹ20ʺ).
- BAC: British Art Center copy features match the description of Hyde 91 (1). Date of publication not present (may have been trimmed). Sheets mounted on linen, in four sections. When folded, outer panels adorned with blue patterned paper. Key map (in four divisions) affixed to outer panels.
BEIN Covers 32 L84 +1862: Sheets trimmed alogn neat line and mounted on linen in four sections with wide border pasted outside neat lines.
"This map is also frequently to be seen mounted as one sheet with a wide border pasted around its outside limits ... The map shows ... the boundaries of the counties, county court districts, the City and the parliamentary boroughs, the metropolitan local management districts, parishes, poor law districts, rural deaneries, postal districts, police court divisions, registrty districts, and registry sub-divisions."--Hyde.
Depicts metropolitan London, from Shepherds Bush in the west to Greenwich in the east, and from Highgate in the north to Anerley in the south.
Relief shown by spot heights.
In portfolio with index map/characteristic sheet pasted to front flap.
Hyde, R. Printed maps of Victorian London, no. 91 (1), and p. 12-13
Boyle, L. London, 228
- Subject Terms:
- London (England) -- Maps.Suburbs -- England -- London -- Maps.
Engravings -- 1862.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.