Royal Company of Archers, Diploma issued by the Royal Company of Scottish Archers to William Robertson of Kinlockmoidart, 1824 January 14
Diploma issued by the Royal Company of Scottish Archers to William Robertson of Kinlockmoidart.
- Scotland, 1824 January 14.
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet ; 24 x 35 cm ; + 1 wax seal, 6 cm in diameter
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1184.R6 D57 1824 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- The recipient of the present diploma is probably the William Robertson of Kinlockmoidart named in Grant, F.J. The Faculty of Advocates in Scotland, 1532-1943 (Edinburgh : Scottish Record Society, 1944). He was "son of Colonel David Robertson, born 26 May 1802, died 22 Feb. 1883, mar. 19 April 28 Sarah Adams, eldest daughter of James Beck of Priors Hardwick, Warwickshire. Assumed name of Macdonald in 1876."
Engraved diploma on vellum completed in manuscript, issued by the Royal Company of Scottish Archers to William Robertson of Kinlockmoidart, 1824 January 14, "after tryal taken by the junges of the Company". The diploma is signed by John Linning as secretary and David Paterson as treasurer. Folded, verso with engraved docket title and engraving of an archer. Attached to the bottom of the diploma is the original red wax company seal appended on green and white silk ribbons. The diploma is also accompanied by a lithographic receipt for the annual subscription fee.
Founded in 1676 as an archery club, the Company served as the Sovereign's Bodyguard in Scotland from 1822, when it provided protection to the visiting King George IV. The front of the red wax seal depicts two archers under a tree, while the reverse shows cupid with a bow and arrow and a man bearing arms with the legend "in peace and war."
- Subject Terms:
- Archers -- Great Britain.Robertson, William, 1802-1883.Royal Company of Archers.
Receipts (financial records)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.