MacLeod, Anne, 1951-, From an antique land , 2012
From an antique land : visual representations of the Highlands and islands, 1700-1880 / Anne MacLeod.
- Edinburgh : John Donald, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- xx, 233 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryN6766 M335 2012 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Subject Terms:
- Highlands (Scotland) -- History -- 18th century.Highlands (Scotland) -- History -- 19th century.Highlands (Scotland) -- In art.
- 'A task altogether impracticable': facing the classical ideal
- 'Plain middle class men': towards a new art market
- 'Rude stones': prehistoric and medieval antiquities
- 'The graceful garb': depictions of highland dress
- 'Curiosity and barbarism': the highlander at work
- 'The pastimes of a mountain race': domestic life and leisure
- 'So torn and convulsed': confronting the highland landscape
- 'A wonderful orderliness': time and the imagination