Aslet, Clive, 1955-, The Edwardian country house , 2012
- The Edwardian country house : a social and architectural history / Clive Aslet.
- London : Frances Lincoln Limited, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 286 p. : ill. (chiefly col.), facsims., plans., ports. ; 32 cm.
- Reference LibraryNA7620 .A8 2012 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
The magnificent country houses built in Britain between 1890 and 1939 were the last monuments to a vanishing age. Many of these great mammoths of domestic architecture were unsuited to the changes in economic and social priorities that followed the two world wars, and rapidly became extinct.
- Subject Terms:
- Country homes -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Decoration and ornament -- Edwardian style.Great Britain -- History -- Edward VII, 1901-1910.Home economics -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Interior decoration -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Master and servant -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Social classes -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.