Aslet, Clive, 1955-, The Edwardian country house , 2012
The Edwardian country house : a social and architectural history / Clive Aslet.
- London : Frances Lincoln Limited, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 286 p. : ill. (chiefly col.), facsims., plans., ports. ; 32 cm.
- Reference LibraryNA7620 .A8 2012 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
The magnificent country houses built in Britain between 1890 and 1939 were the last monuments to a vanishing age. Many of these great mammoths of domestic architecture were unsuited to the changes in economic and social priorities that followed the two world wars, and rapidly became extinct.
- Subject Terms:
- Country homes -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Decoration and ornament -- Edwardian style.Great Britain -- History -- Edward VII, 1901-1910.Home economics -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Interior decoration -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Master and servant -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Social classes -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.