Halifax, George Savile, Marquis of, 1633-1695, Contract appointing Richard Beaumont as gamekeeper to the Marquis of Halifax, 1686 November 15
Contract appointing Richard Beaumont as gamekeeper to the Marquis of Halifax.
- Yorkshire, 1686 November 15.
- Physical Description:
- 1 item ( p.) ; 29 x 37 cm, folded to 29 x 18.5 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA447.H2 B43 1686+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Archives & Manuscripts
- George Savile, 1st Marquess of Halifax (11 November 1633-5 April 1695) was an English statesman, writer, and politician, "known as “The Trimmer' because of his moderating position in the fierce party struggles of his day" (Britannica). At the time of the present manuscript, Halifax had recently been dismissed from privy council for his refusal to support the repeal of the Test and Habeas Corpus Acts.
Richard Beaumont, of Whitley Beaumont, was born on 4 May 1654 to Adam Beaumont and Elizabeth Assbeton. On 2 Oct. 1676, he married Frances, daughter of Sir William Lowther, of Swillington. At his death in 1691, he left one heir, Richard (1654-1691), who died without issue.
Autograph manuscript appointing Richard Beaumont of Whitley Hall, Yorkshire, as gamekeeper to the Marquis of Halifax, “requiring him to look to the preservation of the game and ffishings within all and every the lannds afoiresaid, and to do for me therein what lawfully may be done by vertue of the said Act of Parliamt.” The appointment is dated 15th November 1686, and signed by Halifax with his seal. It also bears the signature of Jo. Greatheed; the manuscript itself may be in Greatheed's hand.
- Subject Terms:
- Beaumont, Richard, 1654-1691.Country life -- England.Gamekeepers -- England.Halifax, George Savile, Marquis of, 1633-1695.Hunting -- England.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.