The rose, shamrock, & thistle.
- Additional Title(s):
Rose, shamrock, and thistle.
- [Great Britain] : [s.n.], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : engraving ; plate mark 17 x 13 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDC239 .R67 1815+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "To general union, this plate containing profiles of eight illustrious personages is most humbly inscribed, by a friend of liberty."
"Left side: Prince Regent, King of Prussia, Marshall Blucher. Right side: King of England, Emperor of Austria, Duke of Wellington. Center: Louis XVIII, Emperor of Russia."
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored. Trimmed to plate mark.
A picture puzzle engraving of a patriotic posy, the leaves of which frame voids in the shape of the profiles of eight British and European leaders in coalition against Napoleon. It may have been produced as a response to the Bonapartist "Corporal Violette," whose flower included profiles of the Emperor Napoleon, Maria Louisa, and the young King of Rome.
- Subject Terms:
- Alexander I, Emperor of Russia, 1777-1825.Blücher, Gebhard Leberecht von, 1742-1819.Francis I, Emperor of Austria, 1768-1835.Frederick William III, King of Prussia, 1770-1840.George III, King of Great Britain, 1738-1820.George IV, King of Great Britain, 1762-1830.Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1800-1837.Louis XVIII, King of France, 1755-1824.Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821 -- Elba and the Hundred Days, 1814-1815.Napoleonic Wars, 1800-1815.Signs and symbols -- Political aspects -- Europe.Wellington, Arthur Wellesley, Duke of, 1769-1852.
- Botanical illustrations.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1815.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.