Rediscovering the ancient world on the Bay of Naples, 1710-1890 , 
Rediscovering the ancient world on the Bay of Naples, 1710-1890 / edited by Carol C. Mattusch.
- 1st edition.
- Washington : National Gallery of Art, distributed by Yale University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- 281 pages : some color illustrations, maps ; 29 cm.
- Reference LibraryDG55.C3 R43 2013 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Proceedings of the symposium "Rediscovering the Ancient World on the Bay of Naples," organized by the Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts, National Gallery of Art, and sponsored by the Arthur Vining Davis Foundations. The symposium was held January 30-31, 2009, in Washington.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Campania (Italy) -- Antiquities, Roman -- Congresses.Europe -- Intellectual life -- 18th century -- Congresses.Europe -- Intellectual life -- 19th century -- Congresses.Naples, Bay of (Italy) -- Civilization -- Congresses.
- The Antiquarian Culture of Eighteenth-Century Naples as a Laboratory of New Ideas / Alain Schnapp
- The Herculaneum Women in Eighteenth-Century Europe / Jens Daehner
- The Sacrarium of Isis in the Praedia of Julia Felix in Pompeii in Its Archaeological and Historical Contexts / Christopher Parslow
- Politics and Royal Patronage in the Neapolitan Regency: The Correspondence of Charles III and the Prince of San Nicandro, 1759-1767 / Carlo Knight
- "To the Catholic King" and Others: Bernardo Tanucci's Correspondence and the Herculaneum Project / John E. Moore
- German Painters in Naples and Their Contribution to the Revival of Antiquity, 1760-1799 / Steffi Roettgen
- The Ferdinand IV Donation to the First Consul and His Wife: Antiquities from the Bay of Naples at Malmaison / Sophie Descamps-Lequime
- Flying Maenads and Cupids: Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Eighteenth-Century Decorative Arts / Nancy H. Ramage
- Grecian Taste and Neapolitan Spirit: Grand Tour Portraits of the Society of Dilettanti / Bruce Redford
- Literary Evocations of Herculaneum in the Nineteenth Century / Eric M. Moormann
- Taste and the Antique: Visiting Pompeii in the Nineteenth Century / Mary Beard
- "Speaking Ruins": Piranesi and Desprez at Pompeii / John Pinto
- Pompeii versus Herculaneum / Eugene J. Dwyer.