Audubon's aviary : the original watercolors for The birds of America / Roberta J.M. Olson ; with an essay by Marjorie Shelley and contributions by Alexandra Mazzitelli.
- Additional Title(s):
Original watercolors for the Birds of America
Birds of America
- New York : New-York Historical Society : 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 448 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 34 cm.
- Reference LibraryQL681 .O47 2012 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BEIN 2014 Folio 467: Deluxe edition, with print, in slipcase, and in box as issued.
Published to accompany a series of exhibitions of the New-York Historical Society's collection of Audubon's watercolors for The birds of America, beginning in 2013--Cf. pref.
"This book is published simultaneously in a deluxe edition that features a slipcase box containing a facsimile print of an Audubon watercolor. The print is hand produced by Oppenheimer Editions, a firm specializing in restoration, framing, and museum-authorized fine art reproductions and original nineteenth-century natural history art prints"--P. 448.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 436-441) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Audubon, John James, 1785-1851.Audubon, John James, 1785-1851. Birds of America -- Exhibitions.Birds -- North America -- Pictorial works -- Exhibitions.Birds in art -- Exhibitions.New-York Historical Society -- Exhibitions.Ornithological illustration -- Exhibitions.Ornithologists -- United States -- Biography.Watercolor painting, American -- Exhibitions.Wildlife artists -- United States -- Biography.
- A biograhical sketch of an American icon / Roberta J.M. Olson
- Audubon's innovations and the traditions of ornithological illustration : some things old, some things borrowed, but most things new / Roberta J.M. Olson
- Drawing birds : Audubon's artistic practices / Marjorie Shelley
- Highlights from the watercolors for The birds of America / Roberta J.M. Olson
- The rest of the flock
- Listing of Audubon's bird watercolors in the New-York Historical Society / compiled by Alexandra Mazzitelli.