Conekin, Becky, "The autobiography of a nation" , 2003
"The autobiography of a nation" : the 1951 Festival of Britain / Becky E. Conekin.
- Manchester ; Manchester University Press ; 2003.
New York : Manchester University Press ; 2003.
New York : Distributed exclusively in the USA by Palgrave, 2003.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 260 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryDA22 A1 C665 2003A (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Related Content:
- Contributor biographical information
Table of contents
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -255) and index.
Digital paperback. Lightning Source, 2008.
This study of the 1951 Festival of Britain examines how Britain and Britishness were portrayed in the exhibitions and events, covering the festival's history, historiography and purpose, representations of the future and past, the role of London and the 'local', and the British Empire and legacy.
- Subject Terms:
- Arts, British -- 20th century -- Exhibitions -- History.Exhibitions -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Festival of Britain (1951)Festival of Britain (1951) -- History.Festivals -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Great Britain -- Civilization -- 1945- -- Exhibitions -- History.