Pyne, W. H. (William Henry), 1769-1843, The costume of Great Britain , 1804
The costume of Great Britain / designed, engraved, and written by W.H. Pyne.
- London : Printed for William Miller, Old Bond Street, by William Bulmer and Co., Cleveland Row, St. James's, 1804.
- Physical Description:
- , iii,  pages, 60 leaves of plates : illustrations ; 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT737 .P96 1804+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "There are three editions or issues of this book: first with title dated 1804, but on paper watermarked prior to that year. Second, with a title dated 1808; and thirdly, in the above state, with an 1804 title, but recognizable by the later watermark. The edition of 1808 usually has plain backgrounds; both impressions of the 1804 are more desirable in having coloured backgrounds."--Abbey.
Plates dated Jan. 1, 1805.
In this issue, the publisher's preface is undated.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, p. 196-197
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 2447
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 430
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled maroon morocco. Paper has no apparent watermarks. Plate 1 bound as frontispiece.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- Great Britain.Costume -- Great Britain.Lumsden, Harry Niven -- Pres. insc. to Rachel NivenLumsden, Harry Niven, Sir -- BookplateNiven, Rachel -- Pres. insc. from Harry Niven LumsdenWilliam Bulmer and Co. -- Printer
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1804.