The costume of the hereditary states of the House of Austria : displayed in fifty coloured engravings / with descriptions, and an introduction by M. Bertrand de Moleville ; translated by R.C. Dallas, Esq. = Costumes des états héréditaires de la maison d'Autriche : consistant en cinquante gravures coloriées / dont les description, ainsi que l'introduction, ont été redigées par M. Bertrand de Moleville.
- Additional Title(s):
Costumes des états héréditaires de la maison d'Autriche
- London : Printed for William Miller, Old-Bond-Street, by William Bulmer and Co. Cleveland Row, St. James's, 1804 [that is, 1822?]
- Physical Description:
- , xxviii,  pages, 50 leaves of plates : illustrations ; 36 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT813 .B47 1822+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Text in English and French, with separate title pages in each language.
Aquatints by William Ellis and William Poole.
"... early copies are on paper watermarked prior to 1804, and contain an introduction in English and French on twelve pages, later omitted. The plates and text are copied from the original edition of Kininger, Vienna, 1803 (Colas, no. 1610) ..."--Abbey.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 71
Colas, R. Costume, 2112
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), 333
Lipperheidesche Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl.), 831
BAC: British Art Center copy contains the introduction, noted by Abbey as an attribute of "early copies." However, it bears a leaf a notice from T. M'Lean, dated 1822 ("T. M'Lean ... begs leave to inform the public, that the Costumes of the various countries, published by Mr. Miller ... are become his property ..."). Plates are on paper watermarked 1821. Bound in contemporary gilt-tooled maroon morocco, with gilt edges.
- Subject Terms:
- Austria -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.Austria -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Costume -- Austria -- History.Costume -- Austria -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1822.
YCBA Collections Search
Bertrand de Moleville, Antoine-François, marquis de, 1744-1818, The costume of the hereditary states of the House of Austria , 1804 [that is, 1822?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.